|← Previous (2007-12-07)||Words harvested from the New York Times, 2007-12-08
||→ Next (2007-12-09)|
This is a list of lowercase non-hyphenated single words found in the 2007-12-08 issue of the New York Times which did not have English entries in the English Wiktionary when this list was created (2009-02-26).
Please create these entries if you are able. Feel free to maintain and annotate the list as well. Typos and non-English words can simply be removed. English words which may not qualify for inclusion for any reason can be sequestered at the bottom of the list.
The quotes often provide good usage examples and attestation evidence and, in most cases, should be included in the entry or citation page for the lemma.
To activate the "add" links, which simplify the addition of citations, add the following code to Special:Mypage/monobook.js, and clear your cache:
importScript('User:Visviva/pretext.js');When this is done, clicking the "add" link should preload the edit form with a dummy entry including a formatted citation for the passage in question. In some cases a "notemp" link is also provided; this generates a template-free version.
In lists created since 2008-02-03, false blue links (entries that exist but lack an English section) are marked with a "*".
73842 tokens ‧ 54531 valid lowercase tokens ‧ 7582 types ‧ 16 (~ 0.211%) words before cleaning ‧
2007 December 8, Robert D. Mcfadden, “Two Window Washers Fall 47 Floors”, New York Times:add
- Investigators said that the two workers were not tethered to safety harnesses, as required, and that new motorized cables on the ends of the 16-foot aluminum scaffold were not properly anchored to a beamlike track that circles the roof.
2007 December 8, Seth Mydans, “Months After Protests, Myanmar Junta in Control”, New York Times:add
- The road map will, of course, lead to a military-dominated, civilianized government, which will perpetuate themselves in power, said David I. Steinberg, a leading expert on Myanmar at Georgetown University in Washington.
2007 December 8, Peter S. Goodman, “Slowing Job Growth Seen as Ominous Sign for Economy”, New York Times:add
- Financial markets can kiss goodbye any chance of a half-point cut, said Ellen Zentner, United States macroeconomist at Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi in New York.
2007 December 8, Allan Kozinn, “At the Shore, Although the Water Is Shallower”, New York Times:add
- Throughout his career he has changed his scores to suit the circumstances, trimming them for recordings, for example, because he believes that nonvisual performances benefit from (relative) concision.
2007 December 8, Verlyn Klinkenborg, “When Doris Lessing Meets Lady Mary Wortley Montagu”, New York Times:add
- Its a way of unprivileging our own position as readers, reminding us, as Ms. Lessing does, that we are only one of the many sets of people who will leave traces of themselves during this planets existence.
2007 December 8, Sarah Wheaton, “Huckabee Immigration Plan Emphasizes Security”, New York Times:add
- Mr. Romney endured tough questioning from reporters in Des Moines yesterday about revelations last week that a yardwork company he employed was found for a second time to be using illegal immigrants.
- misdentified: typo/scanno for misidentified