|← Previous (2008-05-13)||Words harvested from the New York Times, 2008-05-14
||→ Next (2008-05-15)|
This is a list of lowercase non-hyphenated single words found in the 2008-05-14 issue of the New York Times which did not have English entries in the English Wiktionary when this list was created (2009-03-13).
Please create these entries if you are able. Feel free to maintain and annotate the list as well. Typos and non-English words can simply be removed. English words which may not qualify for inclusion for any reason can be sequestered at the bottom of the list.
The quotes often provide good usage examples and attestation evidence and, in most cases, should be included in the entry or citation page for the lemma.
To activate the "add" links, which simplify the addition of citations, add the following code to Special:Mypage/monobook.js, and clear your cache:
importScript('User:Visviva/pretext.js');When this is done, clicking the "add" link should preload the edit form with a dummy entry including a formatted citation for the passage in question. In some cases a "notemp" link is also provided; this generates a template-free version.
In lists created since 2008-02-03, false blue links (entries that exist but lack an English section) are marked with a "*".
91085 tokens ‧ 66706 valid lowercase tokens ‧ 8344 types ‧ 18 (~ 0.216%) words before cleaning ‧
2008 May 14, Michiko Kakutani, “How Abu Ghraib Became the Anything-Goes Prison”, New York Times:add
- What “Standard Operating Procedure,” the book, does do, however, and does with remarkable power, is conjure the atmosphere and conditions at Abu Ghraib that existed during the period in which the photographed abuses occurred. Mr. Gourevitch says that in the acronymic slang derived from the military’s phonetic alphabet (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta ...), the term “Charlie Foxtrot” refers to a profane expression for “a hopeless entanglement of rudderless forces,” and he quotes Tim Dugan, a civilian interrogator at Abu Ghraib, as saying: “It was Charlie Foxtrot without a doubt without a doubt.
2008 May 14, Anne Mendelson, “A Is for Amandine: A List for Beginners”, New York Times:add
- You’ll see works variously addressed to middle-schoolers or children too young to read, invitations to candyland or “The Greatest Cookies Ever,” edible science projects, little girls’ tea-party books, can-opener compilations that might have stepped out of the year 1952.
2008 May 14, James Barron, “When an Anchor Curses on the Air, She Becomes the Night’s Top Story”, New York Times:add
- But she used a word seldom heard on the noncable air, and then only by accident a word that is not publishable in the newspaper.
2008 May 14, Reuters, “April Retail Sales Dipped, but Some Sectors Held Up”, New York Times:add
- The Labor Department said import prices climbed 1.8 percent in April as prices for both petroleum and nonpetroleum products climbed, feeding worries about the potential for inflation.
2008 May 14, Eric Asimov, “Soave Challenges Its Easy Image”, New York Times:add
- In fact, new rules for the Soave Classico appellation, which covers the best hillside vineyards, prohibited the trebbiano Toscano and required that Soave Classico be at least 70 percent garganega, with the remaining 30 percent made up of pinot bianco, chardonnay or trebbiano di Soave, the local name for verdicchio.