|← Previous (2008-12-28)||Words harvested from the New York Times, 2008-12-29
||→ Next (2008-12-30)|
This is a list of lowercase non-hyphenated single words, lacking English entries in the English Wiktionary as of the most recent database dump, found in the 2008-12-29 issue of the New York Times.
Please create these entries if you are able. Feel free to maintain and annotate the list as well. Typos and non-English words can be removed, or sequestered at the bottom of the list if annotation is needed.
The quotes often provide good usage examples and attestation evidence and, in many cases, should be included in the entry or citation page for the lemma.
Clicking an "add" link should preload the edit form with a dummy entry including a formatted citation for the passage in question. In some cases a "notemp" link is also provided; this generates a template-free version.
False blue links (entries that exist but lack a section for the appropriate language) are marked with a "*".
- After torturing and decapitating the unarmed soldiers, the killers left their heads on public display with a message warning the military to discontinue antidrug operations
- When it was fully apparent that the Ravens had a chokehold on their own playoff berth against the Jaguars, what was left for the Jets but to push through the despair in a game of pretend
- Then, Hezbollah, an Iranian-backed Islamist group, was lobbing deadly rockets into Israel with apparent impunity and had captured an Israeli soldier in a crossborder raid
- ?쏛 Cappella (Something?셲 Missing)??is the album?셲 nutty showpiece, with a computer-tuned Brandy becoming a polyphonic cyberchorus, almost but not entirely a cappella
- The incompletion ran four seconds off the clock
- The non-fiction sleeper will be: (a) ?쏱ower Rules,??a Machiavellian view of foreign policy by former diplomat and Times editor Les Gelb (b) ?쏡eep Brain Stimulation,??by neuroscience writer Jamie Talan (c) ?쏝old Endeavors,??by financier and infrastructuralist Felix Rohatyn (d) ?쏬osing the News,??by Alex Jones (e) ?쏱onzi Shmonzi: The Bernie Madoff Story,??crash-published by a dozen houses (f) Fiction: ?쏶hadow and Light,??in 1920s Berlin, by Jonathan Rabb 7
- The complaint sought a court order to curb midfrequency sonar, the Navy?셲 preferred method for detecting enemy submarines, on the grounds the sonar disturbs and sometimes kills whales and dolphins
- MEXICO CITY 혰 Mexicans got new word Saturday of the narcotics mafias??relentless efforts to infiltrate the government here when authorities accused a midranking army officer in the elite presidential guard of selling information about the whereabouts of President Felipe Calder처n to the drug lords
- 셲 verse, parachuted in midsong, is casually political, assertive and nonsensical
- It?셲 not something you need to watch if you?셱e not already a ?쏝attlestar Galactica??fan, but those who are will appreciate the serious treatment this minidrama has received, the same kind of care taken with the cult-favorite series itself
- Parisa Khosravi, CNN?셲 senior vice president for international newsgathering, said such talks among the networks were not currently under way
- At the same time that news organizations are trimming in Iraq, the television networks are trying to add newspeople in Afghanistan and Pakistan, with expectations that the Obama administration will focus on the conflict there
- There are many nonlegislative issues on the agenda for Ms
- and conducted in December 2006, that found that 53 percent of the 808 nonunion, nonsupervisory workers surveyed said they would vote to unionize immediately if they could
- Because the tournament was scored like a pair event, overtricks were important
- Among the parkgoers were Billy Scafuri, who is 27 and a comedian, and Marina Michelson, a 22-year-old actress
- More important, it can reduce the body?셲 sensitivity to insulin and may aggravate diabetes or prediabetic conditions
- Sam and Greg Wood, brothers from Thornton, N.H., were at a trailhead in Lincoln clearly marked with Hike Safe signs
- Wayward trekkers finding themselves in need of a similar helping hand in the future may well find a bill for their rescue in the mail
- Many have grown tired of Reid?셲 unforthcoming nature and stubborn play-calling
- Pennington did engineer the unlikeliest of playoff runs, taking a Dolphins team that was 1-15 last season to a division title
- ? Rezko, to Dewey-eyed prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald to reduce his six-year sentence (b) suspicion by conspiracy theorists about the unremarked lobbying that led to the expensive renaming, after 72 years, of the Triborough Bridge to the Robert F
- And its biggest bet is that people will want to use a version of its corporate videoconferencing system called Telepresence to chat with their friends over their high-definition televisions