|← Previous (2009-03-13)||Words harvested from the New York Times, 2009-03-14
||→ Next (2009-03-15)|
This is a list of lowercase non-hyphenated single words found in the 2009-03-14 issue of the New York Times which did not have English entries in the English Wiktionary when this list was created (2009-03-14).
Please create these entries if you are able. Feel free to maintain and annotate the list as well. Typos and non-English words can simply be removed. English words which may not qualify for inclusion for any reason can be sequestered at the bottom of the list.
The quotes often provide good usage examples and attestation evidence and, in most cases, should be included in the entry or citation page for the lemma.
To activate the "add" links, which simplify the addition of citations, add the following code to Special:Mypage/monobook.js, and clear your cache:
importScript('User:Visviva/pretext.js');When this is done, clicking the "add" link should preload the edit form with a dummy entry including a formatted citation for the passage in question. In some cases a "notemp" link is also provided; this generates a template-free version.
In lists created since 2008-02-03, false blue links (entries that exist but lack an English section) are marked with a "*".
72920 tokens ‧ 53586 valid lowercase tokens ‧ 7519 types ‧ 12 (~ 0.16%) words before cleaning ‧
2009 March 14, Carl Hulse, “G.O.P. Rift on Need for Alternate Budget”, New York Times:add
- The effort is being made with more than the usual level of cooperation between House and Senate Republicans, with Republican leaders of the two chambers appearing in tandem and lawmakers repeating their antibudget criticism almost as a mantra.
2009 March 14, Roslyn Sulcas, “With Help of Masking Tape, a Troupe of Women Bond”, New York Times:add
- But like many elements in “Our togetherness,” the paper, which is soon slowly rolled up by two dancers and put aside, feels like an idea that has landed in the piece without ever attaching itself imaginatively, conceptually, associatively to the whole.
2009 March 14, Anne Barnard, “Furniture Chain’s Boast: Made in America. In Queens, in Fact.”, New York Times:add
- He became Mr. Koutsoftas’s koumbaros, a combined best man and godfather to Mr. Koutsoftas’s children, a role in the Greek Orthodox church that is the equivalent of family.
- margherita *
2009 March 14, Manohla Dargis, “A Line Between Real Life and Acting, Fuzzily Drawn”, New York Times:add
- You don’t even need an actual film print, just a disc you can feed into that ravenous maw called the independent film world, where upstart festival programmers, microdistributors, critics and bloggers are clamoring for directors they can discover, brand and champion as their very own.
- fotolog (name of specific Web site)
2009 March 14, Alexei Barrionuevo, “In Argentina, a Camera and a Blog Make a Star”, New York Times:add
- The more comments, the more famous the flogger. Ms. Vivero’s fotolog site is among the most viewed Internet sites in Argentina, logging 36 million visits over the past year, based on figures tallied by fotolog, she said.
2009 March 14, Jack Curry, “Dutch G.M.’s Son Taught Him Never to Give Up”, New York Times:add
- The honkballers from the Netherlands have guaranteed their status as the little team that could by astounding the Dominicans twice and rumbling into the second round of the W.B.C. Their highest-paid Dutch league player makes $40,000, their closer is normally a starter, their best hitter is from the Newark Bears, and their manager has written four books on baseball.