|← Previous (2009-05-24)||Words harvested from the New York Times, 2009-05-25
||→ Next (2009-05-26)|
This is a list of lowercase non-hyphenated single words found in the 2009-05-25 issue of the New York Times which did not have English entries in the English Wiktionary when this list was created (2009-08-19).
Please create these entries if you are able. Feel free to maintain and annotate the list as well. Typos and non-English words can simply be removed. English words which may not qualify for inclusion for any reason can be sequestered at the bottom of the list.
The quotes often provide good usage examples and attestation evidence and, in most cases, should be included in the entry or citation page for the lemma.
To activate the "add" links, which simplify the addition of citations, add the following code to Special:Mypage/monobook.js, and clear your cache:
importScript('User:Visviva/pretext.js');When this is done, clicking the "add" link should preload the edit form with a dummy entry including a formatted citation for the passage in question. In some cases a "notemp" link is also provided; this generates a template-free version.
In lists created since 2008-02-03, false blue links (entries that exist but lack an English section) are marked with a "*".
69993 tokens ‧ 51059 valid lowercase tokens ‧ 7602 types ‧ 19 (~ 0.25%) words before cleaning ‧
2009 May 25, Harvey Araton, “If Vick Is Sincere, Give Him a Chance to Prove It”, New York Times:add
- “I think with athletes going through these situations, whether it’s a Michael Vick or an Alex Rodriguez , we always get stuck and have the same debate how sincere is he or not sincere?” said Don Hooton, the antisteroid crusader.
2009 May 25, The New York Times, “New CDs”, New York Times:add
- Over a haunted-house beat by the goth-rap innovator Zaytoven, “Gorgeous” is magnificent, a shameless bragfest structured around two-syllable rhymes: “watch like thunder, chain like lightning/my ring game scary, my pinky so frightening.”
2009 May 25, Dave Caldwell, “Hardest Miles Behind Him, Castroneves Pulls Away to Win Indy 500”, New York Times:add
- Castroneves pleaded with them to let him climb the catchfence on the front stretch, as he did in 2001 and 2002.
- domestiques *
2009 May 25, Peter Applebome, “Think a T-Shirt Can’t Change Your Life? A Skeptic Thinks Again”, New York Times:add
- He concluded: “Pros: Fits my girthy frame, has wolves on it, attracts women.
2009 May 25, Bill Pennington, “Not Scotland, but Close Enough to the United States”, New York Times:add
- This, I discovered, will quicken even a lengthy preshot routine.
2009 May 25, Richard A. Oppel, “U.S. Captain Hears Pleas for Afghan Detainee”, New York Times:add
- “Upon speaking to multiple village elders, family members, the police chief and the subgovernor, I am convinced that the individual in question is not the person that the government claims,” he wrote in January to Clive Stafford Smith, a human rights lawyer he had met three years earlier during a posting to Guantánamo.
2009 May 25, Michael Slackman, “Cleaning Cairo, but Taking a Livelihood”, New York Times:add
- As is often the case in Egypt, this crisis started with a decision that came unexpectedly, without consultation, and without consideration for how drastically it would affect about 400,000 people in zabaleen families.