|← Previous (2009-08-11)||Words harvested from the New York Times, 2009-08-12
||→ Next (2009-08-13)|
This is a list of lowercase non-hyphenated single words found in the 2009-08-12 issue of the New York Times which did not have English entries in the English Wiktionary when this list was created (2009-08-19).
Please create these entries if you are able. Feel free to maintain and annotate the list as well. Typos and non-English words can simply be removed. English words which may not qualify for inclusion for any reason can be sequestered at the bottom of the list.
The quotes often provide good usage examples and attestation evidence and, in most cases, should be included in the entry or citation page for the lemma.
To activate the "add" links, which simplify the addition of citations, add the following code to Special:Mypage/monobook.js, and clear your cache:
importScript('User:Visviva/pretext.js');When this is done, clicking the "add" link should preload the edit form with a dummy entry including a formatted citation for the passage in question. In some cases a "notemp" link is also provided; this generates a template-free version.
In lists created since 2008-02-03, false blue links (entries that exist but lack an English section) are marked with a "*".
77533 tokens ‧ 57013 valid lowercase tokens ‧ 7954 types ‧ 22 (~ 0.277%) words before cleaning ‧
- bia *
- brunello *
2009 August 12, Rod Nordland, “Iraq’s Shiites Show Restraint After Attacks”, New York Times:add
- Another important factor is the influence the Shiite clerical leadership has over its followers, with Grand Ayatollah Sistani and other members of the howza, the top religious leadership, condemning any sort of violent reprisals.
2009 August 12, Nicolai Ouroussoff, “When Creativity Diminishes Along With the Cash”, New York Times:add
- And by replicating the experience of the artist’s studio without resorting to kitsch literalisms like paint-splattered palettes and dirty brushes the galleries would also draw the viewer into a more intimate relationship with the making of art.
- mobiliser *
2009 August 12, Andrew E. Kramer, “In Russia, Data Signals a Leveling Off of the Decline”, New York Times:add
- The World Bank has estimated that the Russian economy would contract 7.9 percent this year and not return to precrisis levels until at least 2012.
- publico *
- reserva *
- reservas *
2009 August 12, Reuters, “Israel: Offering Help From Above”, New York Times:add
- About 50 Jewish holy men chanted prayers and blew ritual rams’ horns known as shofars in an aircraft circling over the country in the hope of stopping the spread of the virus, some of them told the newspaper Yediot Aharonot.
2009 August 12, Jeffrey Gettleman, “Clinton Presents Plan to Fight Sexual Violence in Congo”, New York Times:add
- Then she met Chantal Mapendo, mother of six, who stepped forward from the corridors of long drawn faces that had instantly formed to look at the important white lady with all the sunglassed security guards. Mrs. Clinton visited the camp for 20 minutes. Mrs. Mapendo, whose home area has been plagued by fighting, has been living here for three years.