Hi there. The Main Page is protected from vandalism as it is our window on the world. Only sysops can edit it. Here is our standard welcome - in case you would like to post some definitions. SemperBlotto 14:49, 29 December 2005 (UTC)
Hello, and welcome to Wiktionary. Thank you for your contributions. I hope you like the place and decide to stay. Here are a few good links for newcomers:
- Wiktionary Tutorial
- Community Portal
- Entry layout explained
- Criteria for inclusion
- How to edit a page
- How to start a page
- Wiktionary Sandbox (a safe place for testing syntax)
I hope you enjoy editing here and being a Wiktionarian! By the way, you can sign your name on Talk (discussion) and vote pages using four tildes, like this: ~~~~, which automatically produces your name and the current date. If you have any questions, see the help pages, add a question to the beer parlour or ask me on my Talk page. Again, welcome!
Just thought I'd mention that I've set up an automated WOTD template which I have on my user page. The word list is at User:Amgine/WOTD. It's really a rough mock-up of what could be done, if someone is interest in following up on this idea. - Amgine/talk 04:02, 7 January 2006 (UTC)
- Your idea is great... but will it actually work? Does it update itself? The template looks good, but my original idea was to have it stretch across the whole page, like in the Wikiquote main page. The template would work, but I'm not sure where or how well it would fit in. --Thebends 04:08, 7 January 2006 (UTC)
- The best way to get something on the main page is to develop a working system, then propose it. This system is more easily maintainable, but it could be made easier yet. It took me a couple hours today to set up the rest of January (using random page to find words which had interesting or not necessarily common definitions,) so maintaining it is not particularly onerous.
- You might want to look at the main page and modify the layout of this template so it would work well stylistically with Wiktionary main page - colors, fonts, spacing, those sorts of details. And you could create February's table on the User:Amgine/WOTD page and begin filling it in. With a full month of created word pages to windward I think the admins might be more willing to reconsider this feature.
- As for if it will work, it already has. You can look at the word for 6 January, then at the one on my user page, and they should be different (although page cache may not be helping out here.) If the cache is an issue, I have some other solutions which can be used. - Amgine/talk 04:14, 7 January 2006 (UTC)
- Looks like all good news so far. I don't know who to contact for permission to launch this feature, so that'll probably be up to you. I'd also like to thank you for all your help so far. I'll get started on the February table, too. I'll also think about trying out a different template to see what I can come up with. --Thebends 04:21, 7 January 2006 (UTC)
- That's what I hear (Be Bold)... I'm going to take a little break now, though. Thanks for all your help!--Thebends 04:49, 7 January 2006 (UTC)
Invitation to contribute
You might or might not already be aware that there is now a new system in place for marking translations that need to be checked (those that are suspected of being incorrect or those where it is not clear which sense(s) of a word the translations apply to). (See here for the Beer parlour discussion on this topic.)
Translations to be checked are now categorised by language. For example, Category:Translations_to_be_checked_(French) contains a list of all words where French translations need to be checked. This is designed to make the checking of these translations easier to maintain and work with.
I'm contacting everyone who has either expressed an interest in working on translations or has indicated in Wiktionary:Babel that they have a good knowledge of a particular foreign language or languages.
If you want to reply to this message, please do so on my talk page. Thanks for your help you can provide.
— Paul G 11:48, 11 March 2006 (UTC)
checking translations to Spanish
Hi Paul, Yes. I'll check those translations from time to time. Miguel Andrade 14:25, 18 March 2006 (UTC)
- I'm sorry, but I cannot do any Italian translations on account of I have never spoken or learned Italian. I simply forgot to take that Babel box of my userpage. However, I am fairly good at French so if you need a French-to-English or English-to-French translator I would be happy to help. Thebends 15:32, 19 March 2006 (UTC)
- No problem, thanks for letting me know. I am proficient in both French and Italian so can do these; however, there are a large number for French, so any help you can provide there would be appreciated. — Paul G 10:59, 23 March 2006 (UTC)
Your account will be renamed
00:18, 18 March 2015 (UTC)