From German Wagner, meaning ‘wainwright’, later conflated with ‘wheelwright’. See also the English surnames Wainwright and Wheelwright.
- A surname of German origin. Widely known as the surname of the German composer Richard Wagner (1813-1883).
- Arabic: فاغنر m, f (fāġnar, vāgnar)
- Belarusian: Вагнер m, f (Váhnjer), Вагнэр m, f (Váhner)
- Bulgarian: Вагнер m, f (Vágner)
- Mandarin: 瓦格納, 瓦格纳 (Wǎgénà)
Distribution of the surname Wagner in Germany
From Middle High German wagener from Old High German waganāri, equivalent to Wagen + -er
Wagner m (genitive Wagners, plural Wagner)
- (archaic) wainwright
- (archaic) wheelwright
- A common occupational surname.