Wiktionary:Christmas Competition 2013
This is to announce the start of the 2013 Christmas Competition.
For each round, I shall choose a topic or category. You need to supply up to 26 exemplars of that category, each one starting with a different letter of the alphabet ("a" to "z").
Each exemplar must have a corresponding entry in this Wiktionary (at least by the time I come to do the scoring).
Scoring is as follows:- Each exemplar will be awarded the reciprocal of the number of people who submit the same one. Thus if you submit one that nobody else does you will be awarded one point, if two people submit the same one they will each be awarded a half of a point, and so on.
Now, because you must not see other people's submissions, I shall use an email system for submitting entries. After each day's game has been announced you may submit your entry via Wiktionary email to Special:EmailUser/SemperBlottoComp. At the end of each day's game, I shall review the emails, check that the entries meet the rules, calculate the scores and announce the day's results here.
Please leave any comments or questions on this page's talk page; I shall then amend the rules if needed. Please also use the talk page to suggest any suitable topics / categories.
Submissions must be in the form of a string of wikified words/terms separated by commas (so that I can drop them into a spreadsheet). Please leave an extra comma for any missing entry.
See the original Beer parlour announcement for further good and bad examples (and for how the results will be shown).
As part of the scoring process I shall test your entries in the sandbox to make sure there are no red links.
Send your entries to Special:EmailUser/SemperBlottoComp.
Now I know that you like to be inventive in your interpretation of the rules, but please try to stay within their spirit.
For each round I shall specify any restrictions (or bonuses) and give at least one example of both good and bad entries.
p.s. I shall be taking part myself, generating the required string before I look at any of your emails.
- Rivers. Each entry must be a single, capitalised English proper noun naming a river anywhere in the world.
- So Nile but not Blue Nile (two words) or tributary (simple noun).
- Cut-off date/time is 08:00 GMT Tuesday 3rd December.
- Three-letter palindromes. Each entry must be a single, three-letter palindromic word, in any language that uses the Roman alphabet. No spaces, hyphens, punctuation or diacritical marks of any kind.
- Words that differ only by capitalization will be deemed to be the same word for this competition's scoring.
- So bob or Bob, but not boob (4 letters)
- Cut-off date/time is 12:00 GMT Friday 6th December.
- Organic compounds. Each entry must be a single, uncapitalised English noun that is a specific organic compound or a class of organic compound.
- The word must contain no numbers, punctuation, Greek letters or other clutter,
- RESTRICTION. Maximum length of each word is 12 letters.
- So acetone or aldehyde, but not acetic acid (two words), β-carotene or 1,2-naphthoquinone (clutter), aminocyclopropane (too long).
- Cut-off date/time 12:00 GMT Monday 9th December.
- French adverbs. Each entry must be a single-word, French adverb.
- BONUS! Any entry that does not end in -ment will score double.
- So absolument (single score) or ainsi (double score) but not à la carte (three words).
- Cut-off date/time is 12:00 GMT Thursday 12th December.
- Any word in any language. Each entry must be a single, uncapitalised word in any language that uses the Roman alphabet. No spaces, hyphens, punctuation, ligatures or diacritical marks of any kind.
- RESTRICTION. Each word in your string (other than the first) must be shorter (have fewer letters) than the one before.
- So "[[amphibologiquement]],[[beekeeping]],[[crossing]],,,,,,[[ink]],,,,,,,,,,,,,,,[[ze]]" would be an acceptable entry.
- NOTE: the letter "z", by itself, is not considered a word in this competition.
- BONUS! An extra 5 points will be awarded for the string with the most words (divided by n if n of you share the distinction).
- Cut-off date/time is 12:00 GMT Sunday 15th December.