Wiktionary:Requested entries (Thai)
for basic Thai words that need entries
Have an entry request? Add it to the list. - But please:
- Think twice before adding long lists of words as they may be ignored.
- If possible provide context, usage, field of relevance, etc.
Please remove entries from this list once they have been written (i.e. the link is “live”, shown in blue, and has a section for the correct language)
There are a few things you can do to help:
- For words which are listed here only in their romanized form, please add the correct form in Thai script.
- Don’t delete words just because you don’t know them — it may be that they are used only in certain contexts or are archaic or obsolete.
- Don’t simply replace words with what you believe is the correct form. The form here may be rare or regional. Instead add the standard form and comment that the requested form seems to be an error in your experience.
- จุม (joom is unusual word, I think it is a loan. I don’t believe it exists as a separate word.) - it still would be great to trace and give the etymology in the ปี่จุม entry
- เบิ้ง -- From Korat dialect. It's not actually standard Thai language เบิ่ง or เบิ้ม. --Octahedron80 (talk) 05:48, 25 June 2014 (UTC)
- วดี (don’t think this is an independent word. borrowed from Pali/Sanskrit, it’s supposed to once have mean fence, hedge. Pali vati (“fence”), Sanskrit वृतिः (vṛtiḥ, “fence, hedge”). —Stephen 02:36, 27 June 2009 (UTC)
- สันต์ (săn) (don’t know of any separate meaning for this. It ends in a silent "d", so maybe it’s a borrowing from Pali)
- อริย (I think this means noble, but as far as I know it isn’t an independent word)