Wiktionary:Requested entries (Yiddish)
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Have an entry request? Add it to the list. - But please:
- Think twice before adding long lists of words as they may be ignored.
- If possible provide context, usage, field of relevance, etc.
Please remove entries from this list once they have been written (i.e. the link is “live”, shown in blue, and has a section for the correct language)
There are a few things you can do to help:
- Add glosses or brief definitions.
- Add the part of speech, preferably using a standardized template.
- Please indicate the gender(s) .
- If you see inflected forms (plurals, past tenses, superlatives, etc) indicate the base form (singular, infinitive, absolute, etc) of the requested term and the type of inflection used in the request.
- For words which are listed here only in their romanized form, please add the correct form in Hebrew script.
- Don’t delete words just because you don’t know them — it may be that they are used only in certain contexts or are archaic or obsolete.
- Don’t simply replace words with what you believe is the correct form. The form here may be rare or regional. Instead add the standard form and comment that the requested form seems to be an error in your experience.
- זיצפֿלייש (zitsfleysh, “Sitzfleisch”) — “There is a huge pressure to exit, argues Zeev Holtzman of Giza Venture Capital, a leading Israeli VC firm, but entrepreneurs are starting to acquire the necessary staying power—Sitzfleisch, in Yiddish—to make it big.” — The Economist March 19, apparently. —RuakhTALK 00:39, 24 March 2008 (UTC)
- זיצן אויף שפּילקעס (zitsn oyf shpilkes) - (zitsn oyf shpilkes, sitting on pins and needles)
- Yiddish spelling for Shapiro—This comment was unsigned. ←is שפירא I believe. Maybe with a kametz alef?—msh210℠ 16:06, 25 December 2009 (UTC)
- אױ גװאַלד (oy gvald) - [[oy gevalt]—This comment was unsigned. ←I'd think there'd have to be a vowel after the gimel, no?—msh210℠ (talk) 16:44, 10 June 2012 (UTC)
- עלף (elf) - elf as per Wiktionary:Requests_for_verification#.D7.A9.D7.93_.D7.92.D7.9E.D7.93.
- חול קרייש
- I'm pretty sure it's spelled ווי באַלד and means "because", but I'm not sure of either.—msh210℠ (talk) 05:34, 11 August 2013 (UTC)