Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˌæ.kəˈpɛl.ə/, /ˌæ.kæˈpɛl.ə/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌɑ kə.ˈpɛl.ə/
- Rhymes: -ɛlə
Audio (US) (file)
- (music) In a manner of a choir with no instrumental accompaniment; literally "in the style of the (Sistine) Chapel (in Rome)"; such as a musical Mass done a cappella.[First attested in the late 19th century.]
- Groups of teens singing a cappella on street corners got recording contracts.
- (obsolete, music) In alla breve time.
performed by a choir with no instrumental accompaniment
a time indication, equivalent to alla breve
- (music) singing solely or mainly without instrumental accompaniment.[First attested in the late 19th century.]
- An a cappella group sang during the wedding reception.
- (obsolete, music) alla breve.
- Brown, Lesley, ed. The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary. 5th. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2003.