Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
accent mark (plural accent marks)
- (linguistics) A mark or character used in writing, in order to indicate the place of the spoken accent, or to indicate the nature or quality of the vowel marked.
- The name Cézanne is written with an acute accent mark.
- (music) A mark used to represent specific stress on a note.
- (music) A mark placed after a letter designating a note of music to indicate the octave in which it occurs.
- (mathematics) A mark placed at the right hand of a letter, and a little above it, to distinguish magnitudes of a similar kind expressed by the same letter, but differing in value, as y', y''.
- (geometry) A mark at the right hand of a number, indicating minutes of a degree, seconds, etc., as in 12' 27'', meaning twelve minutes and twenty-seven seconds.
- (engineering) A mark used to denote feet and inches, as in 6' 10'', meaning six feet ten inches.