Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Aloha shirt
- a dress shirt of a type originating in Hawaii, often brilliantly colored with floral or Polynesian patterns
1935, Travel, volume 76-77:
- At this election booth one of the officials wears the popular, brightly colored "aloha" shirt; the other a feather lei about his hat.
1996 September, Patrick Mott, “100% Cotton Prozac”, Orange Coast, volume 22, number 9, ISSN 0279-0483, page 28:
- No Savile Row suit, no pure silk business ensemble, no costume of any sort, modern or ancient, can possibly beat the traditional aloha shirt for pure form-follows-function glory. Put on a real aloha shirt, with primary colors detonating all over the surface, and you couldn't hang on to a bummer of a mood if your sister was dating Saddam Hussein.
1999 December 14, Robert B. Stinnett, Day of Deceit: The Truth about FDR and Pearl Harbor, New York: The Free Press, ISBN 9780743200370, page 83:
- Emanuel was proud of his image reflected in the glass—tropical blooms covered every inch of his short-sleeved aloha shirt in a busy design of Hawaiian hibiscus, poinsettia, and bougainvillea.
2006 Spring, Linda B. Arthur, “The Aloha Shirt and Ethnicity in Hawai'i”, Textile: The Journal of Cloth and Culture, volume 4, number 1, Berg Publishers, DOI:10.2752/147597506778052430, pages 8-34:
- The design motifs on the early 1930s aloha shirts were generally Japanese or Chinese and applied to the greige goods by roller printing in Japan.
2003 March, Marcia A. Morgado, “From Kitsch to Chic: The Transformation of Hawaiian Shirt Aesthetics”, Clothing and Textiles Research Journal, volume 21, number 2, DOI:10.1177/0887302X0302100203, ISSN 0887-302X, pages 75-88:
- In Hawai'i, the garment is always referred to as an aloha shirt, often spelled with a capital A. The practice may reflect an earlier time when the phrase “Aloha shirt” was protected under copyright. Outside the Islands the garment is commonly know as the Hawaiian shirt.