Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: apsē
apse (plural apses)
- (architecture) A semicircular projection from a building, especially the rounded east end of a church that contains the altar.
- The bishop's seat or throne in ancient churches.
- A reliquary, or case in which the relics of saints were kept.
- (astronomy, obsolete) The nearest and furthest points to the centre of gravitational attraction for a body in orbit. More usually called an apsis.
- (obsolete or dialectal) In some local dialects and in archaic usage, an aspen tree.
a semicircular projection from a building
astronomy: apsis — see apsis
obsolete or dialectal: aspen tree — see aspen
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
apse f (5th declension)
- aspen tree (esp. Populus tremula)
- apses koksne — aspen wood
- smaržīgā apse — fragrant aspen
- ātraudzīgā apse — fast-growing aspen
- trīc kā apšu lapa — (s/he) trembles like an aspen leaf
Declension of apse (5th declension)