Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A chief magistrate of ancient Athens.
- 1980: Hated by the archons of Athens for his fearless condemnation of municipal graft, he was hypocritically arraigned on a charge of corrupting Athenian youth. (Burgess, Earthly Powers)
- A ruler, head of state or other leader.
- 1922: But neither the midwife’s lore nor the caudlectures saved him from the archons of Sinn Fein and their noggin of hemlock. (Joyce, Ulysses)
- (Gnosticism) A supernatural being subordinate to the Demiurge.
Related terms 
- archon in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- archon in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- archon at OneLook Dictionary Search
From Ancient Greek ἄρχων (arkhōn).