Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- Present participle of ask.
asking (plural askings)
- The act or process of posing a question or making a request.
- His asking was greeted with silence.
- (Rare in the singular) A request, or petition.
- 2005, The Woman's Book of Resilience: 12 Qualities to Cultivate, by Beth Miller - Page 125
- After many askings, pleadings, and episodes, all leading to nothing, she finally slumped down at the side of a well in a village where she was unknown.
Usage notes 
- Normally found in plural, or in set phrases such as for the asking.