Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Alternative forms 
- auditour (obsolete)
auditor (plural auditors)
- One who audits bookkeeping accounts.
- In many jurisdictions, an elected or appointed public official in charge of the public accounts; a comptroller.
- One who audits an academic course; who attends the lectures but does not earn academic credit.
- (rare) One who listens as a member of an audience
- (Scientology) One trained to perform spiritual guidance procedures.
one who audits bookkeeping accounts
From audiō (“hear, listen”)
- A hearer.
- An auditor
- A pupil, disciple; a person who listens to teachings.
- (by metonymy) A reader of a book. (Books were read aloud.)
- (pupil, disciple): discipulus
Related terms