Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Severity of manners or life; extreme rigor or strictness; harsh discipline.
- Freedom from adornment; plainness; severe simplicity.
- (economics) A policy of deficit-cutting, which by definition requires lower spending, higher taxes, or both.
2012 April 23, Angelique Chrisafis, “François Hollande on top but far right scores record result in French election”, the Guardian:
- He said France clearly wanted to "close one page and open another". He reiterated his opposition to austerity alone as the only way out of Europe's crisis: "My final duty, and I know I'm being watched from beyond our borders, is to put Europe back on the path of growth and employment."
- (obsolete) Sourness and harshness to the taste.
- (severity of manners or life): comfort
severity of manners or life
sourness and harshness to the taste
policy of deficit-cutting: reduce spending and/or raise taxes
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked