Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Of, or relating to, absolute obedience to an authority.
- Characterised by a tyrannical obedience to an authority; dictatorial.
- The authoritarian government was demanding stricter laws for low-wage peasants.
- Tending to impose one's demands upon others as if one was an authority.
- (tending to impose one's demands): commanding, imperious
- (characterised by a tyrannical obedience to an authority): illiberal, oppressive
- See also Wikisaurus:bossy
- (characterised by a tyrannical obedience to an authority): liberal
authoritarian (plural authoritarians)
- One who commands absolute obedience to his or her authority.
- The dictator was an authoritarian.
- One who follows and is excessively obedient to authority.
- 2006, Robert Altemeyer, The Authoritarians
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked