Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
avenge (plural avenges)
- (transitive) To take vengeance (for); to exact satisfaction for by punishing the injuring party; to vindicate by inflicting pain or evil on a wrongdoer.
- to avenge the murder of his brother
- (intransitive, obsolete) To take vengeance.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Bible, Leviticus xix. 18 to this entry?)
- (nonstandard) To treat revengefully; to wreak vengeance on.
- (take vengeance): get back at, retaliate, take revenge
- (treat revengefully): spite
- See also Wikisaurus:avenge
to take vengeance for
to treat revengefully