bête de scène
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
French, literally ‘beast of the stage’.
- a feral player; an actor whose intense performance is likened to a wild animal
- a performer with innate talent
- 2007, John Gaffney, Diana Holmes, Stardom in postwar France, Berghahn Books, page 81:
- "Hallyday was often described as a bête de scène, a charismatic showman who gives his all, to the point of smashing his guitar on stage."
- Bêtes de scène. Anne Bouvier Cavoret, 2002
- Insiders' French: beyond the dictionary. Michel Levieux, 1999