Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
backstop (plural backstops)
- A device that prevents railroad cars from rolling off a railroad track.
- (baseball) A wall behind home plate.
- (baseball slang) A catcher; the position of catcher
- (transitive) To serve as backstop for.
- (transitive) To bolster, support.
2013 March 26, Douglas Busvine and Darya Korsunskaya, “Russia backstops Cyprus bailout despite anger”, Reuters:
- Russia signalled on Monday it would backstop the European Union's bailout of Cyprus despite anger that the weekend rescue deal would impose heavy losses on uninsured depositors, many of them Russian.