Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also Balsam
Alternative forms 
- A sweet-smelling oil or resin derived from various plants.
- A plant or tree yielding such substance.
- A soothing ointment.
- (figuratively) Something soothing.
- Classical music is a sweet balsam for our sorrows
- A flowering plant of the genus Impatiens.
- A balsam fir.
- Canada balsam, a turpentine obtained from the resin of balsam fir.
- (sweet-smelling oil): balm
- (plant or tree): balm
- (soothing ointment): balm
- (something soothing): balm
- (flowering plant of the genus Impatiens): jewelweed, impatiens, touch-me-not
Derived terms 
terms derived from "balsam"
Related terms 
terms related to "balsam"
sweet-smelling oil or resin derived from some plants
plant or tree yielding such substance
flowering plant of the genus Impatiens
balsam fir — see balsam fir
turpentine from the resin of balsam fir — see Canada balsam
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
See also 
declension of balsam
From Latin balsamum. Appears since 17th century.