Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Balsam
- 1 English
- 2 Polish
- 3 Romanian
- (chiefly UK) A sweet-smelling oil or resin derived from various plants.
- (chiefly UK) A plant or tree yielding such substance.
- (chiefly UK) A soothing ointment.
- (chiefly UK, figuratively) Something soothing.
- Classical music is a sweet balsam for our sorrows
- A flowering plant of the genus Impatiens.
- A balsam fir.
- Canada balsam, a turpentine obtained from the resin of balsam fir.
- (sweet-smelling oil): balm
- (plant or tree): balm
- (soothing ointment): balm
- (something soothing): balm
- (flowering plant of the genus Impatiens): jewelweed, impatiens, touch-me-not
terms derived from "balsam"
terms related to "balsam"
sweet-smelling oil or resin derived from some plants
plant or tree yielding such substance
figurative: something soothing
flowering plant of the genus Impatiens
balsam fir — see balsam fir
turpentine from the resin of balsam fir — see Canada balsam
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
declension of balsam
- “balsam” in Polish dictionaries at PWN