Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Depth, bottom.
- An abrupt change in style, usually from high to low; an unintended transition of style; an anticlimax.
- Apparent hyperbole or praise marked by comic dilution or digression.
- Triteness; triviality; banality.
- Overly sentimental and exaggerated pathos.
- I like you more than I can say; but I'll not sink into a bathos of sentiment: Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte - 1847.
Apparent hyperbole or praise marked by comic dilution or digression.