Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK) IPA: /bəˈlɪdʒ.(ə).ɹənt/, X-SAMPA: /b@"lIdZ.(@).r=@nt/
- (US) IPA: /bəˈlɪdʒ.ə.ɹənt/, X-SAMPA: /b@"lIdZ.@.r=@nt/
Audio (US) (file)
- Engaged in warfare, warring.
- Eager to go to war, warlike.
- Of or pertaining to war.
- (By extension) Aggressively hostile, eager to fight.
- Acting violently towards others.
- (eager to fight): aggressive, antagonistic, bellicose, combative, contentious, pugnacious, quarrelsome, truculent
Derived terms 
Related terms 
engaged in warfare
eager to go to war
of or pertaining to war
hostile, eager to fight
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
belligerent (plural belligerents)
- A state or other armed participant in warfare
- The U.N. sent a treaty proposal to the belligerents.
state or other armed participant in warfare
See also 
belligerent m (plural belligerenten)
- A belligerent, armed party in warfare
- third-person plural present active subjunctive of belligerō