Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
birther (plural birthers)
- One who gives birth
1951, Erico Verissimo, Time and the Wind, volume 2, page 583:
- […] she couldn't be an "easy birther."
1998 January 22, “Paper Disputes Claims of Oldest Brit to Deliver”, page C2:
- Liz Buttle, Britain's oldest birther, lied about not taking fertility drugs and didn't conceive her 2-month-old boy in the usual way as she insisted.
- (slang, pejorative, US politics) A believer in one or more conspiracy theories, holding that President Barack Obama is not a "natural born" citizen of the United States, and therefore ineligible for the presidency.
2008 December 8, Jay Bookman, “'Shut up about the birth certificate'”:
- I confess I do have some sympathy for the "birthers," though. As an outsider, it's hard to distinguish between the zany arguments that get official approval by the conservative establishment --- things like Bill Ayers, Michelle Obama's infamous "whitey" tape, the claim that Obama is a closet Marxist --- and those arguments that are considered beyond the pale.
2009 August 7, Paul Krugman, “The Town Hall Mob”, New York Times:
- Senator Dick Durbin has suggested that the birthers and the health care protesters are one and the same; we don’t know how many of the protesters are birthers, but it wouldn’t be surprising if it’s a substantial fraction.
2010 September 29, Mark Benjamin, “What Islamophobia really threatens”:
- Earlier this month, columnist and birther Frank Gaffney, Rep. Pete Hoekstra, R-Mich., the ranking Republican on the Intelligence Committee, and others held a news conference on Capitol Hill to release a report on Muslim religious law entitled "Shariah: The Threat to America."
- Barack Obama citizenship conspiracy theories on Wikipedia.Wikipedia:Barack Obama citizenship conspiracy theories