Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
boondoggle (plural boondoggles)
- A braided ring to hold a neckerchief, particularly in scouting; a woggle.
- (US) A waste of time and/or money; a pointless activity.
- Opponents consider this another billion-dollar government boondoggle.
- (ring): woggle
- (government program): white elephant
- (intransitive) To waste time on a pointless activity.
- ^ Boondoggle, World Wide Words, Michael Quinion
- ^ $3,187,000 relief is spent to teach jobless to play; $19,658,512 voted for April; 'Boon Doggles' Made, New York Times, April 4, 1935