Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -uːdɪŋ
- (of a bird) Broody; incubating eggs by sitting on them.
- A brooding hen can be aggressive.
- Deeply or seriously thoughtful.
- You like T. S. Eliot's "The Waste Land"? You must be so brooding and deep.
deeply or seriously thoughtful
- Present participle of brood.
brooding (plural broodings)
- A spell of brooding; the time when someone broods.
2009 June 22, Jon Caramanica, “Once-Dreamy Indie Rockers, Masking Hurt With High-Gloss Sheen”, New York Times:
- The lyrics are different: gone are the dreamy, un-self-conscious proclamations of affection from the EP (which was reissued with additional tracks), replaced with vividly dark broodings, thick with doubt and fear.