Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A widely circulated apocryphal or untrue story pertaining to people, events, or places on the campus of an educational institution, often having elements of humour or horror.
- The story that the library is sinking because the architect forgot to allow for the weight of the books is an old campus legend.
- 1951, Howard Mumford Jones, "With the Technicians: The Founders of Phi Beta Kappa," The Journal of Higher Education, vol 22 no 7 (Oct), pp. 381-385.
- In campus legend, the grind, the non-athletic boy, the unattractive girl, are popularly associated with Phi Beta Kappa, but the caricature cannot be justified.
- A person who is renowned within a particular educational institution.
- The student union president's fearless protests made her a campus legend.
- 1982, Jan Harold Brunvand, "Obituary: Richard M. Dorson (1916-1981)", Journal of American Folklore, vol 95 no 377 (July), pp. 347-353.
- When I had my first exposure to Dorson at MSU in his undergraduate American Folklore course in fall quarter 1954, he had become a campus legend.