Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK) IPA(key): /kəˈpɪ.tjʊ.leɪt/, /kəˈpɪ.tʃə.leɪt/
- (US) IPA(key): /kəˈpɪtʃ.jʊ.leɪt/, /kəˈpɪtʃ.jə.leɪt/
Audio (US) (file)
- (obsolete) To draw up in chapters; to enumerate.
- (obsolete) To draw up the articles of treaty with; to treat, bargain, parley.
- there capitulates with the king […] to take to wife his daughter Mary
- To surrender; to end all resistance, to give up; to go along with or comply.
- He argued and hollered for so long that I finally capitulated just to make him stop.
- The Irish, after holding out a week, capitulated.
- (surrender, end resistance, give up): wave the white flag
surrender; end all resistance; to give up; to go along with or comply