Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌkætsmiˈaʊ̯/
- While "meow" is often pronounced in one syllable IPA(key): /mjaʊ̯/, in this phrase it is almost always pronounced in two syllables IPA(key): /miˈaʊ̯/.
- (idiomatic, dated) A self-satisfied person.
- (idiomatic) A highly sought-after and fancy example of something.
- That new car was really the cat's meow.
- (highly sought-after example of something):
- ^ New York Times, August 6, 1922: "The flapper tells her "cakie" that a Chauve Souris sundae is "just the cat's meow"."