Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Chicken fingers, or chicken tenders. A style of batter-fried chicken without skin or bones.
- (slang, motorcycling, humorous) The band of unscuffed tire surface at the outer edges of the contact surface.
- "The harder you lean into corners, the more of the tyre you use. This means that a biker who rides hard will have an evenly-worn tyre. A biker who rides gently will not use the outer edges of the rubber resulting in a phenomenon known as 'chicken strips'. These are very uncool and a beacon to those in the know that the rider is a novice."1
- "At our first gas stop, I was thrilled to note that the "chicken strips," those bands of virgin rubber found on the edges of most Midwestern riders' rear tires, had been burned off the Yamaha's 17-inch Bridgestone Battalax BT-20s. In other words, I was hitting some serious (for me) lean angles."2
- "Is your chain due for replacement? Are your tires so worn that only the chicken strips left on the sides remain? Replace them now."3
Sense 2, (motorcycle) is generally intended ironically, as to mock inexperienced riders who think the narrowest width of unused tire tread is a testament to riding skill or courage.
- "How London bikers measure up ; ES WHEELS; [W_04 Edition ]", Evening Standard. London (UK): p. 5 May 3, 2002
- Neale, Brian, "New Yamaha offers best of sport, touring worlds; [Chicagoland Final , CN Edition]", Chicago Tribune (Chicago, Ill.) p. 6, 29 July 2001
- Weber, Bob, Read, dream, fix, wax your way out of discontent; [Chicagoland Final , CN Edition], Chicago Tribune. Chicago, Ill.: p. 3, 28 January 2007