Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
chub (plural chubs or chub)
- One of various species of freshwater fish of the Cyprinidae or carp family, especially:
- By extension, various vaguely related marine or freshwater fishes.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
chub (plural chubs)
- A chubby, plump person
- (slang) A gay man.
- A plastic or other flexible package of meat, usually ground meat or luncheon meat.
1998, Center for Public Integrity, Safety last: the politics of e. coli and other food-borne killers:
- One thing that makes recovering product harder is grocery stores' and restaurants' practice of regrinding one company's lot, or "chub," of meat with those from other companies, thus making trace-back harder.
1999, Walter Soroka, Fundamentals of packaging technology:
- Chub packaging is versatile. Package sizes can range from miniature tubes up to 150-mm diameter and 1220 mm in length (6-in. diameter and 48 in. long). Virtually any pumpable paste can be filled into a chub pack
2001, John R. Romans, The meat we eat:
- A typical gelbwurst chub is 24 inches long and about 2V2 inches thick.
2004, Alberta Beef Producers, I Love Alberta Beef, page 15:
- Once opened, use or freeze the meat within one day. Tube or chub packaging is used for fresh or frozen ground beef. Use or freeze fresh meat chubs within a day
2007, Greg M. Burnham, Predicting pathogen growth and death in raw meat and poultry, page 86:
- A time/temperature history for either the product (4.5 kg chubs of coarse-ground beef) or the storage environment ... After inoculation, the surface of each 4.5-kg coarse-ground beef chub contained six samples inoculated with E. coli