Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See close quarter.
- Plural form of close quarter
- Very near proximity.
- They were fighting at close quarters.
- Four-to-a-room is living in close quarters.
- 1857, Robert Michael Ballantyne, The Coral Island,
- I was also advised to put on a belt and carry a short cudgel or bludgeon in it, for, as Jack truly remarked, the sling would be of little use if we should chance to come to close quarters with any wild animal.
- 1880, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Constance Garnett (translator), The Brothers Karamazov,
- One can love one's neighbours in the abstract, or even at a distance, but at close quarters it's almost impossible.
- 1913, Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Cave Girl,
- With a sword and shield he could have let his enemies come to very close quarters with perfect impunity to himself and then have run them through with infinite ease.