Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (informal) too confident; overconfident
- I thought myself cocksure of the horse which he readily promised me. — Alexander Pope.
- 1906, John Galsworthy, The Man of Property, preface
- The persistence of the Past is one of those tragicomic blessings which each new age denies, coming cocksure on to the stage to mouth its claim to a perfect novelty.
- 1920, Sinclair Lewis, The Main Street, chapter 23
- These crack specialists, the young scientific fellows, they're so cocksure and so wrapped up in their laboratories that they miss the human element.