Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Cocoa
- 1 English
- 2 Nahuatl
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈkəʊ.kəʊ/
- (US) enPR: kōʹkō, IPA(key): /ˈkoʊ.koʊ/
Audio (US) (file)
- (uncountable) the dried and partially fermented fatty seeds of the cacao tree from which chocolate is made
- (uncountable) an unsweetened brown powder made from roasted, ground cocoa beans, used in making chocolate, and in cooking.
- (uncountable) a hot drink made with milk, cocoa powder, and sugar
- Do you like cocoa?
- (countable) a cup or mug of this drink
- I like to watch TV with a cocoa.
- (countable) a light to medium brown colour
``A Food Lover's Companion by Evan Jones (Harper & Row, 1979) includes this poem by Stanley J. Sharpless:
- Half past nine - high time for supper;
- ``Cocoa, love? ``Of course, my dear.
- Helen thinks it quite delicious,
- John prefers it now to beer....
- For they've stumbled on the secret
- Of a love that never wanes,
- Rapt beneath the tumbled bedclothes,
- Cocoa coursing through their veins.
seeds of cacao tree
cup/mug of this drink
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- of a light to medium brown colour, like that of cocoa powder
of a light to medium brown colour
- 2002, Wolgemuth, Carl et al., Diccionario náhuatl de los municipios de Mecayapan y Tatahuicapan de Juárez, Veracruz, 2nd electronic ed., Instituto Lingüístico de Verano, page pp. 87, 119, 231, 242: