cognacy (plural cognacies)
- (linguistics) The relationship between cognates; the condition of sharing a common ancestor term in another language.
- 2000, Bernd Heine & Derek Nurse, African Languages: An Introduction, ISBN 0521666295, page 262:
- First, in depending on vocabulary, as opposed to morphology or grammar, one runs the risk of assuming cognacy between similar words when the real explanation is borrowing.
- (linguistics) The degree to which two languages share cognates, usually expressed as a percentage
- 1988, Monday B. Abasiattai, Expanding frontiers of African history: the inter-disciplinary methodology, ISBN 9780070001, page 255:
- In Table 13.1 are given the percentages for the degrees of cognacy between pairs of languages in the Upper Cross group.