Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (of a person) Pleasing or attractive to the eye.
- He that is comely when old and decrepit, surely was very beautiful when he was young.
- Not once perceive their foul disfigurement / But boast themselves more comely than before.
- 1918, Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Land That Time Forgot, Chapter IX
- The chief's name was To-jo, and his household consisted of seven females and himself. These women were much more comely, or rather less hideous than those of Tsa's people; one of them, even, was almost pretty, being less hairy and having a rather nice skin, with high coloring.
- Suitable or becoming; proper; agreeable.
- This is a happier and more comely time / Than when these fellows ran about the streets, / Crying confusion.
- Bible, Psalms cxlvii. 1
- It is good to sing praises unto our God; for it is pleasant; and praise is comely.