Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A perception shared by members of a community.
- The Baltimore Symphony plays magnificently, with a degree of precision and communal understanding of the music that is rare indeed. - Stereophile magazine website.
- Music is a universal language central to every culture of the world. It has been used to entertain, communicate, educate, inspire, and instill a sense of social and communal understanding. - from http://www.intelli-tunes.com/music.htm a site about using music to help children to learn.
- An understanding that goods belong to the community
- Because Indians embraced a communal understanding of property, they had developed no sense of the concepts that comprised the heart of Americans' private law: torts, contracts, property, and commercial law." from the article Law and Society published by the Lincoln Library.