Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- plural form of
- (plural only) comfort, support, or sympathy offered to the family and friends of somebody who has died
- I sent her a card expressing my condolences after her mother passed away.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- Expressing perfunctory or jocular condolence wishes.
1992, Martin Cruz Smith, Red Square, page 120:
- "What were you doing at the cemetery?" / "Burying my father." / "Oh." Rodionov grunted as if he had expected a more imaginative excuse. "Condolences."
2008 July 15, NPR, “When Does It Go Too Far?”, Talk of the Nation:
- Let's get another caller on the line. This is Camille. Camille with us from Visalia in California. / Visalia, California that's correct. / Go ahead please. / Hi. I'm an African-American woman and when I first saw the cover - let me preface this. I'm in central California, which is very conservative. And... / Condolences.