Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK, Australia, Boston) IPA(key): /kɒt/
- (US) IPA(key): /kɑt/
- Rhymes: -ɒt
cot (plural cots)
- (US) A simple bed, especially one for portable or temporary purposes; a camp bed.
- (nautical) A wooden bed frame, slung by its corners from a beam, in which officers slept before the introduction of bunks.
- A crib (child's bed).
- A cover or sheath.
- a roller cot (the clothing of a drawing roller in a spinning frame)
- a cot for a sore finger
- A finger cover used to prevent static discharge.
- (archaic) A cottage or small homestead.
- the sheltered cot, the cultivated farm
- 1898, Ethna Carbery, Roddy McCorley (poem).
- Oh, see the fleet-foot hosts of men who speed with faces wan / From farmstead and from thresher's cot along the banks of Ban
- A pen, coop, or similar shelter for small domestic animals, such as sheep or pigeons; a cote.
- A small, crudely-formed boat.
folding bed — see camp bed
portable or temporary bed
nautical:wooden bed frame
bed for children
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked