Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (intransitive) To make a sarcastic, flippant, or sardonic comment.
1917, George Bronson-Howard, Slaves of the Lamp:
- "Whenever I commit a crime?" expostulated Paul. "Where do you get that stuff, Ferret?" / "Out of me nut, kiddo. Why don't you stop cracking wise, and go back to the ribbon counter?"
- 1985 Aug. 5, Jacob V. Lamar Jr., "Coming Along Just Fine," Time:
- Reagan displayed his usual aplomb and even cracked wise about his age at a White House banquet.
- wisecrack (verb)
- crack wise at OneLook Dictionary Search