Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: crâne
crane (plural cranes)
- A large bird of the order Gruiformes and the family Gruidae having long legs and a long neck which it extends when flying.
- A mechanical lifting device, often used for lifting heavy loads for industrial or construction purposes.
- An iron arm with horizontal motion, attached to the side or back of a fireplace for supporting kettles etc. over the fire.
- A siphon, or bent pipe, for drawing liquors out of a cask.
- (nautical) A forked post or projecting bracket to support spars, etc.; generally used in pairs.
- (transitive) To extend (one's neck).
- (Can we find and add a quotation of George Eliot to this entry?)
- (transitive) To raise or lower with, or as if with, a crane.
- What engines, what instruments are used in craning up a soul, sunk below the centre, to the highest heavens.
- an upstart craned up to the height he has
In Lojbanized spelling.
- Chinese: cian — 前 [qián]
- English: frant — front
- Hindi: samne — सामने [sāmanē]
- Spanish: frent — frente
- anterior; x1 is anterior/ahead/forward/(in/on) the front of x2 which faces/in-frame-of-reference x3