Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
davy (plural davys)
- An affidavit, a legally binding statement or oath
- Rather than testify in open court, each sailor posted a davy before sailing off.
- 1883, Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson, John Wilson and Son, 1895, page 66
- "You and me should get on well, Hawkins, for I'll take my davy I should be rated ship's boy."
- 1999, Treasure Island - The Script by David Calcutt, Thomas Nelson & Sons Ltd, 1999, page 84
- my affy-davy He means affidavit, which is a written statement confirmed by an oath, and legally binding.
- A davy lamp, more often capitalized as Davy lamp, a type of safety lamp
- The miner knew the old davy was safer than any open flame, but far riskier than a modern flashlight.
- 1996, English-English-Telugu Dictionary by Junathula Venkata Subrahmanyam, Sura Books, 1996, page 113
- "davy-lamp [n]: coal-miner's safety daw"
- 2009, Dictionary of Energy: Expanded Edition edited by Cutler J. Cleveland, Christopher G. Morris, Elsevier, 2009, page 124
- He also developed the innovative davy lamp for use in coal mines.