Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: défense
- defence (British)
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /dɪˈfɛns/
- (US) IPA(key): /diˈfɛns/
Audio (US) (file)
- (sports): (US, often) IPA(key): /ˈdi fɛns/
- Rhymes: -ɛns
defense (plural defenses) (US)
- The action of defending or protecting from attack, danger, or injury.
- Anything employed to oppose attack(s).
- An argument in support or justification of something.
- Government policy or structure related to the military.
- It was the Department of Defense.
- See also Wikisaurus:defense
action of protecting from attack
anything employed to oppose attack
argument in support or justification of something
- vocative masculine singular of