Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK) IPA: /ˈdɪnə(ɹ)/, X-SAMPA: /"dIn@/
- (US) enPR: dĭnʹər, IPA: /ˈdɪnɚ/, X-SAMPA: /"dIn@`
Audio (US) (file)
Audio (UK) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɪnə(ɹ)
- Hyphenation: din‧ner
- The main meal of the day, often eaten in the evening.
- An evening meal.
- A midday meal (in a context in which the evening meal is called supper or tea).
- A meal given to an animal.
- Give the dog its dinner.
- A formal meal for many people eaten for a special occasion.
- (uncountable) The food provided or consumed at any such meal.
Usage notes 
- There are differences in usage according to the social class of the speaker. Working-class and lower-middle-class speakers in Britain, for example, are more likely to refer to the midday meal as "dinner" and the evening meal as "tea" rather than "supper". Some speakers use common collocations of dinner such as school dinner, Sunday dinner and Christmas dinner to describe meals that they wouldn't otherwise call a dinner.
- (an evening meal): supper
- (meal given to an animal): chow
- (midday meal): lunch, luncheon
- (formal meal for many people eaten at a special occasion): banquet, luncheon
Derived terms 
Terms derived from dinner
Related terms 
main meal of the day
a meal given to an animal
a formal meal
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked