Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
dispersant (plural dispersants)
- (chemistry) Any substance that is used to to prevent settling or clumping of particles suspended in a liquid.
1989, Tony E. Hart, “Letters of Agreement for the use of Dispersants”, in L. Michael Flaherty editor, Oil dispersants: new ecological approaches, page 152:
- Since the effectiveness of dispersants is time-critical, the sooner that concurrence can be obtained and the dispersant applied, the more effective such
1989, National Research Council (U.S.). Committee on Effectiveness of Oil Spill Dispersants, Using oil spill dispersants on the sea:
- Effects due to the dispersant solvent and surfactants in the water column may be surmised only from laboratory studies
2010 May 13, Paul Quinlan, “Less Toxic Dispersants Lose Out in BP Oil Spill Cleanup”, New York Times:
- Scientists warn that the dispersed oil, as well as the dispersants themselves, might cause long-term harm to marine life.
substance used to stabilize a dispersion
- present participle of dispersar
- Present participle of disperser.