- (transitive, intransitive) To plunge suddenly into water; to duck; to immerse.
- (intransitive) To fall suddenly into water.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Hudibras to this entry?)
- (transitive) To put out; to extinguish.
From Middle English duschen, dusshen (“to rush, fall”), related to Norwegian dusa (“to break, cast down from”), Old Dutch doesen (“to beat, strike”), German dialectal tusen, dusen (“to strike, run against, collide”), Lua error in Module:etymology_language at line 136: The source language/family code "frs" is not valid. Lua error in Module:links/templates at line 52: The language code "frs" is not valid.. Compare doss, dust.
- (transitive) To strike.
- (transitive, nautical) To strike or lower in haste; to slacken suddenly; as, douse the topsail.
douse (plural douses)