Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- IPA(key): /ˈdɹɔ.ɪŋ(ɡ)/
- (cot-caught merger) IPA(key): /ˈdɹɑ.ɪŋ(ɡ)/
- (intrusive R) IPA(key): /ˈdɹɔɹɪŋ(ɡ)/
- Rhymes: -ɔːɪŋ
- Rhymes: -ɔːɹɪŋ (in some dialects)
- Present participle of draw.
drawing (plural drawings)
- A picture, likeness, diagram or representation, usually drawn on paper.
2012 March 1, Brian Hayes, “Pixels or Perish”, American Scientist, volume 100, number 2, page 106:
- Drawings and pictures are more than mere ornaments in scientific discourse. Blackboard sketches, geological maps, diagrams of molecular structure, astronomical photographs, MRI images, the many varieties of statistical charts and graphs: These pictorial devices are indispensable tools for presenting evidence, for explaining a theory, for telling a story.
- The act of producing such a picture.
- Such acts practiced as a graphic art form.
- An act or event in which the outcome (e.g., designating a winner) is selected by chance in the form of a blind draw, notably of lots; especially such a contest in which a winning name or number is selected randomly by removing (or drawing) it from a container, popularly a hat).
- A small portion of tea for steeping.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Alice Cary to this entry?)
picture, likeness, diagram or representation
act of producing a picture
graphic art form
action where the outcome is selected by chance using a draw
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked